Excerpts from "St. Ann Catholic Parish - A History: 1913 - 2008" by Maria Beltran Freeman
A century ago in San Antonio, Texas a small number of Roman Catholic families living in Beacon Hill began talk of the possibility of building a church for their neighborhood.... In thanksgiving for what was, in appreciation for what is, and in anticipation of what is yet to come, may God always bless the people who come to this church: St. Ann Catholic Parish.
1913 - With permission granted from then San Antonio Bishop John William Shaw, the land which is now present day St. Ann Parish was purchased.
1914 - The congregation of St. Ann had grown to over 70 families. Parish leaders also began to recognize the need for the building of a school.
1917 - The first Rectory was built and 3 years later a combination church and school was built. The construction was two stories high with the first floor used for the church and second floor reserved as a school.
1922 - St. Ann School officially opened its doors to approximately 102 children with proper curriculum and a Catholic education provided by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.
1934 - After extended economic hardship, the parish eventually had enough funding to support the rental of a house on West French Place to serve as a temporary convent for the Sisters.
1938 - St. Ann Parish celebrated its 25th Anniversary.
1947 - A Parish Building Committee was appointed in the hopes of establishing the new church and school. It was decided the new church would measure 50 feet wide and 144 feet long, and would have a seating capacity of approximately 600 people. With the aid of then Father Aloysius A. Leopold, the present day church was officially consecrated on December 14, 1948.
1951 - The new St. Ann School was finished and dedicated; consisting of 12 classrooms and one gymnasium.
1960 - In order to further alleviate the need for more space in the school, the Arts Cinema (the old "Uptown Theater"), was purchased and renovated for school sports and activities. This allowed for the building of a 3rd floor which housed a library and science lab.
1961 - The building at the corner of Ashby and St. Ann Street provided for a larger convent for the Sisters of the Incarnate Word.
1962 - St. Ann Parish celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
1965 - The Parish Rectory was completed and dedicated; providing space and lodging for priests.
1984 - There was an estimated 8,000 parishioners and 292 students enrolled in the school.
1988 - St. Ann Parish celebrated its 75th Anniversary.
1994 - St. Ann Parish became the home to priests of the Dominican Order establishing it as a novitiate for their seminarians. Father R.B. Williams, O.P. succeeded Father Stuart Juleen, and became the first Dominican pastor of St. Ann.
1999 - St. Ann School closed but the building is still used by parish members for social functions. Today the school building is being utilized by the charter school KIPP Aspire Academy.
2011 - The Dominican Order leaves St. Ann Parish. The last Dominican Pastor to serve St. Ann Parish was Father John Restrepo, O.P. and Father Jim Rutkowski becomes the new Pastor.
2013 - St. Ann Parish celebrates its 100th Anniversary.